Saturday, March 15, 2008

"The Show" - Sun City Style

In the great baseball film Bull Durham a career minor league ballplayer named Crash Davis (Kevin Costner's best role) uses his limited major league experience to bedazzle the young players, all of whom live and breathe only one goal. That all consuming desire is to make it to baseball's Nirvana--the Major Leagues. In the locker room they call it "making it to the show."

Crash has had only modest playing time in the Majors, but enough to make him the resident expert for those doomed to play on the perennially woeful Durham Bulls, a Class A minor league team. It is far from the glamor and glitter of the Majors so Davis can hold the young players in the palm of his hand while spinning tales of life in the big leagues:
Yeah, I was in the show. I was in the show for 21 days once - the 21 greatest days of my life. You know, you never handle your luggage in the show, somebody else carries your bags. It was great. You hit white balls for batting practice, the ballparks are like cathedrals, the hotels all have room service, and the women all have long legs and brains.
My point in all of this isn't to do a movie review, although I certainly recommend it as a moving and thoughtful film about many more things than just baseball. (Look it up on the Internet Movie Database.)

Actually, this is all brought to mind because my baseball-loving son and I are spending a few days in Arizona visiting some spring training sites and attending meaningless but thoroughly enjoyable games. Jeff has done this with friends for several years. This time I get to be his spring training buddy, which is pretty cool.

We're seeing a game a day in different spring training parks. Our primary focus has been our much beloved but long-suffering Kansas City Royals, scrapping this year to escape from their two decades of ineptitude. We're here to help.

Those who know me, or have read this blog for a while, know that I subscribe to the notion that baseball is life, or at least that it informs life in helpful ways. A couple of years ago I blogged here about Opening Day in baseball and how life needed one. We could all use a fresh start when anything is possible. If Royals fans can believe that anyone can.

I'm here to report, however, that life in the minors isn't as gloomy as one might imagine. There are several municipalities around Phoenix that have built excellent sports complexes that include training fields and a very nice stadium. The facility becomes identified with one or two Major League teams and team loyalty is fostered thereby. Residents, many of them seniors, work as volunteer ushers, concessionaires, souvenir store clerks, and parking attendants. The latter needs a little work. When pedestrians, SUVs, and wheelchairs converge simultaneously in one intersection it becomes clear that elderly men with whistles and waving arms do not necessarily assure public safety.

All in all, life seems pretty good here. Oh, the stadiums are smaller but the amenities aren't bad and the enthusiam is high. I'm guessing it gives the young players a foretaste of what may come. Here they live out their hopes to make it in the Big Leagues.

As for us fans, it's up-close baseball and a lot of fun to experience. Ticket prices are not proportionally lower. But if you're going to emulate "the show" why not do it in pricing, eh?

Cup holders would be appreciated.

7 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have stumbled upon your blog. I've missed reading articles authored by you over the past few years. Your keen sense of humoris just what the Dr. ordered!
    Thank you for continuing to write... and for being willing to share with those of us who could never quite get our thirst quenched!
    Blessings to you and your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, thanks for such a nice comment. I'm doing this primarily as a personal discipline to keep writing. Since I'm no longer in a role that requires me to write it's easier to get diverted. It does help to know that someone is listening. Thanks for the encouragement and thoughtful support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, life is not a base ball game. I enjoy reading your blogs, Grant, but this one has lost me. A dear friend died yesterday after being hit broadsides in his pickup by an auto he did not see in a fog. He had massive brain injuries and later in the day died, leaving a grieving widow and many sad friends.

    So, in baseball, is that an "out"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margie, I'm so sorry to hear about the tragic death of your friend. Words rarely speak to the unrelenting pain, anger, and perplexity that usually accompanies times like this. I will certainly hold you and your family in my heart.

    Metaphors never speak fully to life. They can be helpful tools or they may provoke deeper thought. Obviously a light-hearted metaphor like "baseball is life" becomes trivial when laid against tragedy.

    I've never been one to try to explain away tragedy, and I'm particularly resistant to nonsense like "it is all in God's plan." I want nothing to do with a God who has plans like that.

    Tragedy, like good fortune, comes upon us like the random falling of rain. Our task in the human family is not to explain these times, but just to hold each other close. The embrace of a loved one can heal where metaphors and words cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand, Grant. I don't blame God. I could not worship a God who had such tragedy in the plan. I understand it was just circumstances..beyond our control.

    I know God grieves with us when we grieve and celebrates with us when good things happen. Job and Kushner both understood that bad things happen to good people. God does not cause such things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few years ago, I had the great experience of getting to attend a game of the Durham Bulls in Durham, North Carolina where Bull Durham was filmed. Now there is not much good about Durham, but one of the good things is that stadium. I am happy to report, it was "JUST LIKE IN THE MOVIES." I have never had so much fun at a baseball game ever....
    So hope your experience is as fun! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete