Monday, June 12, 2006

Ignoring Ann Coulter

"Deadly Intent: Ann Coulter, Word Warrior" - New York Times
I refuse to be an accessory to Ann Coulter's book-selling game, as detailed by this excellent column in the New York Times.

This post is to declare that I am wise to her tricks and way too smart to post anything on my blog that might sell her hate-mongering book or draw attention to her leggy interviews on the cable news channels. Let Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson take her on. That's good enough for me.

I hereby offer this advice to the teeming masses of people who read this blog and look to me for appropriate responses to cultural affairs. Ignore Ann Coulter. Resist the temptation to discuss her during lunchtime conversations. Do not refer to her outrageous comments. Rise above her vitriolic sound bites and prove to her that we will not succumb to her marketing plan. Do not look at her legs.

And above all, do NOT call her names. To do so is to demean ourselves and to ennoble her. We will not be Ann Coulter enablers.

Taking this principled stand has cleansed my soul. Thank you, Ann Coulter (rhymes with "rich").

8 comments:

  1. Your kind, well-thought out moderation is always an inspiration to me and a nice balance to the roadrage style rants I am prone to do anytime anybody mentions her name. I'll just say that she is a living example of the axiom that beauty is more than skin deep, and her inner being shines through so strongly that it would be impossible for me to develop any sexual attraction for her at all, legs included. To quote T-Bone Burnett: I am blinded by the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly know what you mean. I read Ms. Coulter's remarks and couldn't believe her lack of sensitivity...to say the least. She has learned that "nasty" sells books and must have decided it was worth the flack from the left to become richer and richer.

    Too bad everyone doesn't just ignore her. I wouldn't spend a penny on one of her books. It would be like buying Hitler's book.

    When I see her on TV I just change the channel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. However, what we cannot ignore is the bigger issue, the fact that someone like Ann Coulter becomes a legitimate media figure, political pundit, whatever. The problem here is not Ann Coulter, it’s the Today Show, NBC and, to a larger extent, the mainstream media in general. On that Today Show interview, Matt Lauer seemed shocked and appalled by the vitriol in Ann Coulter’s book. But there was nothing new in this book that was not in all the others – lies, hate, and foul, over-the-line language. So the question is – Why is this woman on the show? Moreover – why has she been on the show three times this year? People write hate all the time and it doesn’t matter, but when network television gives her a pulpit and allows her to spew this filth from a position of legitimacy; that is what poisons the discourse. Yes, ignore Ann Coulter. This should be easy to do – but get ENRAGED at the mainstream media – bombard them with e-mails, letters and phone calls – this is not the type of person they need to be sponsoring on the air!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that at positive thing to do is to ignore Ann Coulter. She is like a bactria that will grow and spread. With the writing of this book we can be ready for many like writers with no original thoughts to follow.

    Joanne in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I applaud your advice!!!!
    I will not allow one synapse to fire in consideration of anything Ann Coulter has to say or write. Just about the same energy I expend on Fred Phelps..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann Coulter is the George Patton of the neocons...
    Omar Bradley is reported to have said, "Give George a headline and he's good for another thirty miles."
    Give Ann a headline (and airtime) and she's good for another 30 insults. No more headlines - no more air time - no more Ann.
    Yep...ignoring her sounds about right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good advice Grant!

    I ain't 'fraid of no Coultergeist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. re: Ann Coulter

    just be sure to apply the same advice to Michael Moore who uses the same tactics to sell his so-called "documentaries"

    ReplyDelete