Sunday, December 03, 2006

Blogging the Road Ahead

As some of you have pointed out, both online and offline, it's been a while since I've posted on the blog. I keep resisting a feeling of obligation when it comes to this tiny corner of the blogosphere, but still it comes, relentlessly at times. So, here are a few of the things rattling around in my mind these days--blog topics for the road ahead.

* The political upheaval after the November elections has been fascinating to watch. If you've read much of what I've written in this space you will know that I feel generally quite positive about the message sent to our government on November 7. Now we will have to see whether there will be a measured response to issues of war and peace, power and privilege, ethics and corruption.

* My current hero is Michael J. Fox. I'm going to write in future days about stem cell research, which is kind of personal for me. Watching Fox, his body twitching and jerking involuntarily, standing up to the idiocy of Rush Limbaugh was profoundly inspiring.

* The intersection of faith, culture, and public policy, a favorite topic of mine, is taking some fascinating turns. A Muslim congressman wanting to be sworn in with his hand on the Koran. The Democrats inviting Jim Wallis, an evangelical and social activist, to give their party's weekly radio address. The rising fortunes of Barack Hussein Obama as a viable presidential candidate. The stumbling of the religious right and the emergence of a new religious coalition on the American political scene. It's kind of exhilarating.

* My sons encouraged me to go see the film, Borat. Now that was an experience worth some pondering.

* Thanksgiving flows into Christmas. It's that season when grim realities often get turned upside down, when despair is sometimes transformed into hope, and when new beginnings, whether religious or secular, are birthed in a manger, whether literal or metaphorical. Joy, hope, love, and peace--not a bad agenda, eh?

Lots to talk about in the months ahead. Any other ideas you who share this space would like to pursue on the road ahead?

3 comments:

  1. "* My sons encouraged me to go see the film, Borat. Now that was an experience worth some pondering."

    I agree. My son said, "Mom, don't go see it. I liked it but you would hate it."

    From what I've heard and read, he's probably correct.

    There are a lot of good topics to blog about now.

    I'm wondering what sort of investigations will now begin. I know there will be one about Halliburton but will there be any others worth following? My son says that embassy in Iraq is huge...the largest and nost expensive in the world. Why, do you suppose, we need something of that nature there in that God forsaken place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to see you writing again. I read quite a few blogs, but I particulalry enjoy yours. I would like to go down the road about stem cell research and Barak Obama. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Grant, tell me how despair gets turned into hope during this season? Many years ago I lost a child in this season, this year I lost my mother just before Thanksgiving, the church to which I have been a lifetime member has lost it's way so it can't help me. How does despair get turned into hope during this season? I could definitely use some hope

    ReplyDelete