Saturday, February 23, 2008

Dare I Trust Obama With My Mind and Heart?

I am admittedly a political junkie. I moved to the United States from Canada in 1959 when I was eleven years old. Even at that young age I remember being interested in the likes of Lester Pearson and John Diefenbaker, who were the luminaries of Canadian politics in those days

True to form, I quickly got intrigued by American politics and can recall participating in school debates about the virtues and vices of John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon in the 1960 presidential election. I'm sure there was compelling interest among my classmates in the political views of this annoying kid who had just moved to the States from his Canadian igloo.

Nonetheless, politics became an ongoing interest of mine. I grew up and went to college in the 1960's and, like many students in those days, was deeply concerned about the war in Vietnam. I took out American citizenship in 1965 and cast my first vote for president in 1968. I will confess here what I tend to avoid admitting except when waterboarding is involved. That vote went for Richard Nixon, who said he had a "secret plan" to end the war. I believed him and thereby earned my first dose of cynicism about American politics.

I will never forget that election of 1968, particularly the Democratic National Convention, which was held at the International Amphitheatre in Chicago, Illinois, from August 26-29. Only part of the convention was in the Amphitheatre; the rest of it was in the streets where massive protests and violent confrontations were unfolding on national television. I vividly recall watching Senator Abraham Ribicoff (D-Conn) in the podium nominating George McGovern and declaring, "If George McGovern were president, we wouldn’t have these Gestapo tactics in the streets of Chicago." That led to a finger-pointing, expletive-laced response from Chicago Mayor Richard Daley.

But here's the thing. I spent that summer living with a friend at his grandparents' trailer home in Manteno, Illinois, where we were working at a bridge building plant. That night, in the tight confines of the trailer, my friend's grandfather was shaking his fists at the television and yelling at the "hippies" in the streets. I, in turn, was yelling at the police for clubbing college kids protesting a seemingly fixed convention. (For a wonderful, well-written book about this incredible year in American politics, read Theodore H. White's The Making of the President 1968.)

That week had a profound impact on me. I saw how politics divided generations, raised and dashed hope, and stirred cynicism and indifference. In 1972 I was excited to support the anti-war candidacy of George McGovern, only to see him crushed at the polls. In the years that followed I continued my interest in the political scene but no candidate captured both my mind and my heart.

And now comes Barack Obama. Something is going on inside me. I am far more hardened by cynicism and resistant to illusion than in those "loss of innocence" experiences of the 1960's. But I'm listening and I'm feeling. I don't think the pathway between my mind and heart has been entirely lost--just overgrown with brush and missing signage. But I think I'm going to hack at the weeds and look for directions. I'm going to allow myself to be a bit vulnerable and open myself to the possibility of hope.

It feels kind of good.


11 comments:

  1. Ah, Grant. I fear Obama is much too inexperienced for this terrible time in history.

    The Republicans will rip him to pieces just as they did McCain when Bush was afraid he would capture the nomination in 2000. They will do anything to win. They will search every part of his life for bits of information to use against him. Remember the "swift boat" ads against Kerry, a decorated hero?

    If Obama has thought Hillary has been rough, just wait until he meets the Republicans following the convention.

    I am a cynic...or at least skeptical of his chances of fending them off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, Margie. I've got a feeling ol' Barack got street tough in those community organizing gigs in Chicago. I think he may be far more resilient than many believe.

    Furthermore, the Republicans aren't positioned very well to be jumping on anyone else. That will lead to many reminders of the corruption and morality issues swirling around the GOP these days. Plenty of glass houses over there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have already read that they intend to harp on the patriotism thing when he meets the Republican candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now, on top of all the other problems the country has, Nader has decided to run again. The spoiler who split the Democrats in 2000 and siphoned away independent votes from Al Gore in a razor-thin contest in Florida and again spoiled the election in 2004 is loose again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Obama's book, Dreams from my Father. Incredible. He actually did some work for ACORN/Project Vote in Chicago.

    Plus, this is the first time in my memory, ever? That Bill Russell picked the winning candidate (Obama). It is cold, but I don't think it is hell freezing over. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In 1968 I had just graduated from high school and was in Chicago marching in the streets and trying to stay out of the way of the police clubs. What a time that was.... I think Barack may get the nomination and I think he can probably beat McCain. McCain would just be 4 more years of Bush and everyone is tired of that. However, I'm afraid that Barack would get eaten alive if he made it to the oval office. I just think he is too young and inexperienced to make a real president. So what do we have to look forward to???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Then give Hillary a chance at it. She can handle the heat. Look what she went through when Bill was in the White House.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think "experience" is necessarily great. Experience can make one set in their ways, sure that they have all the right answers, stuck in an "old" way of doing things... I already think the tone of Barack's campaign is a breath of fresh air... I think you should go ahead and trust....life isn't worth living without a little risk and the possibility that once again you might be made a fool for love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think some of you are unduly concerned about Obama's capacity to deflect Republican attacks and to take on leadership of the country upon inauguration.

    He has run a brilliant campaign, outplaying the Clintons, thought to be the smartest political minds in recent history. He makes mistakes but instantly learns from them. He is smart, eloquent, and believable. God, how we need that after these last seven years.

    Hillary Clinton has won me over to the point I could support her if she becomes the candidate. I have been troubled by her inability to connect on a personal level, but she has persuaded me she has the capacity to lead. However, I'm troubled by her schizophrenic hysteria these past few days.

    I'll support her if she is nominated, but I think we have a better option. I can accept Senator Clinton. I am truly enthused about Senator Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grant,

    Thanks for sharing your keen political insights to see the deeper issues. At first I was worried about the experience issue all the pundits and critics raised, yet the more I listened to the Obama, the more I saw a deep wisdom beneath the words. I do believe that if Obama becomes the candidate, he will be continue to rally the voters of this nation and move beyond the critics and political attacks to continue to inspire people to beleive they can make a difference. I echo Brad's hopes that you keep this blog going--it is important to a lot of us.

    Jerry van Rossum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Jerry. How are things in Detroit? Great to hear from you and to have you participating in this blog. Feel free to weigh in at any time.

    Thanks for the encouragement to keep the blog going. I'm enjoying it so far and may do some things to improve the interactive content, should their be sufficient interest.

    So far the topics are kind of up to my own whimsy. Not sure if we need more of a focus, but so far I'm resisting that idea.

    You're a whimsical kind of guy. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete