Wednesday, March 23, 2011

On Tolstoy, Forgiveness, and the Waffle House

Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910)
A while back I found myself at a local Waffle House, filling a little time between appointments with my orthopedist and my ophthalmologist.  Life is like that for me these days, requiring far more visits to medical facilities than I ever would have imagined.

That morning I was visiting the surgeon who had patched together the remnants of a knee that took the brunt of an ungraceful descent down the stairway in my home. That nasty surgery left me with a couple of months spent mostly in a recliner, my foot elevated and my ego bruised.

Later that day I was at the eye doctor, demonstrating once again that I could not make out the bottom row in the vision test. Never mind that I had long ago memorized the darn thing, although that knowledge seems a bit useless.

For some reason these medical appointments are often followed by visits to Denny's or IHOPs or such--the comfort foods, the brassy waitresses, the bottomless coffee pots, and the morning paper. On this occasion it was the Waffle House I visited. I learned a little history from the greasy menu--there is a Waffle House Museum in Decatur, Georgia at the site of the first restaurant opened in 1955. That was interesting to know, but hardly life-changing.

But never did I imagine that in the midst of the maple syrup, the buttered waffle, and the black coffee I would run into Leo Tolstoy. He came by way of a story in the New York Times which I was reading on my iPhone. I see a lot of irony in the circuitous route that connected me to Tolstoy that morning, but that is not the point of my musings today.

Waffle House Museum
The piece in the Times dealt with an effort underway in Russia to rehabilitate Tolstoy's reputation on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of his death. It seems that although he is fondly remembered among literary types, and is an important figure in Russian history, he is not beloved by the Russian Orthodox Church. A century ago the  church had excommunicated and blacklisted him because they believed he had supported the rise of the Bolsheviks.

Clearly Tolstoy had radical views and was a favorite of Lenin. But even those who abhorred his politics had to acknowledge that War and Peace and Anna Karenina, among others, were such a worthy contribution to the world's literature that he could be forgiven his political myopia. And so, a decade ago Tolstoy's great-great grandson wrote to the church requesting that Tolstoy's 1901 excommunication be "revisited." There was no response.

As the centennial approached the effort was joined by the literary establishment and a most remarkable request ensued. The president of the Russian Book Union wrote to the church and in effect asked for forgiveness on behalf of Tolstoy, something Tolstoy himself had never requested. The church's response, while praising his books and other literary accomplishments, noted that Tolstoy had never made peace with the church nor renounced his "tragic spiritual error" and as a result his excommunication could not be lifted. They did say that those who held him in high regard would be allowed to offer "sincere, humble prayer for his soul." (The full text of the letters are well worth reading and can be found here.)

At this point the waitress at the Waffle House asked if I would like my coffee refilled.  I did.

Russian intellectuals were appalled by the church's response:
“It’s as if in the 20th century the church did not survive persecution that made Tolstoy’s criticisms look like childish prattle,” wrote the literary critic Pavel V. Basinsky, whose new book examines Tolstoy’s final days. “It’s as if we have found ourselves in the situation that we were in at the beginning of the last century.”
As the waitress two booths over hollered "Two eggs over easy, hash browns, and bacon extra crispy," I shook my head in agreement and chuckled at the silly rigidity and narrow interpretations of those church officials unable to migrate to the modern age.  I poured a little maple syrup on what remained of my waffle.

And then a little chill rippled through my body.

I stared at the words. I wrote that statement by the Secretary of the Patriarchal Cultural Council of the Russian Orthodox Church, I thought, lukewarm coffee gurgling in my throat. Not that statement, of course. I had never upheld the excommunication of Leo Tolstoy. Never even knew about it.

But my entire career was spent in various roles in a faith community, eight of them as its president. In that moment in the booth of the restaurant du jour I started to wonder how many times had I written policies or responded to inquiries in a manner that leaned on custom or comfort or precedent but ignored the Waffle House test.

Does it make sense to the world as we know it, as it has become over time? Does it honor the past without being bound to it? Does it stifle or does it breathe with new life?

 My mind raced.

A few days ago I stopped by the Waffle House again after seeing the doctor. A little bladder problem if you must know. I had some things I have been wondering about since my last encounter with Tolstoy. Many things. I needed to know what he thought.  That same waitress was yelling something about link sausages. No Tolstoy though.

Maybe I'll check at Denny's, just in case.

7 comments:

  1. As usual I am in awe of the comparisons you are able to draw from seemingly unrelated issues. I love how you put thoughts together as they often challenge me to revisit my own, and to dig deeper into my own judgments and worldview.

    Also, since I just reconnected with a Russian friend of mine this week, super timely that you and I were together in Russia at least in our heads this week :o)

    Hope all is well with you friend, I miss you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grant- In the words of Maya Angelou "we did then what we knew how to do, when we know better, we do better". Personally I was a fan of lots of your decisions and I think there was such a level of thoughtfulness to your office that I always appreciated. I do like the Waffle House test and I think that's a test we should use no matter if we're president of a denomination or president of our house. Great writing as always friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grant, your writing brings back memories from my visit to Russia several years ago.
    I spent two weeks visiting with and teaching church members in Moscow and Novosobirsk, Siberia. I was constantly surprised by the interest of the people in Christianity and their constant question, "What is the right thing to do?"

    I miss you and appreciate your musings.
    Love and peace, always,
    Rod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, your thinking sparked mine, Grant. I think the church and society always need both prophets and priests. The priests we need to keep us stable so we don't go off the deep end and the prophets we need to dray us kicking and screaming into the future.

    By the way, you did a great job as president and the church has not been the same minus your vision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This morning I had just opened my newly delivered Herald to page 7 where I saw a friend from last year's Community of Christ world conference Volodya from Ukraine baptizing a fellow in Crimea, when I then opened up the Community of Christ cybercongregation web site to post about Volodya, when I then read about your blog post here as posted there by my online friend Stacie. I thought, wow a little synchronicity. Tolstoy, Russia, Volodya, Ukraine ... honoring the past without being bound to it. Last year at world conference, I met Volodya and his sister who were sharing with some of us central states delegates about the growth of Community of Christ in Odessa Ukraine. These 2 young people seemed to be spiritual, motivated and articulate (although I don't understand Russian). They asked for questions, when someone from Independence MO asked if they were using the Book of Mormon in their witness to grow the church in Odessa. These 2 fine young new ministers seemed surprised and confused by the question and the follow up question whether these folks in Independence could ship the Book of Mormon to Odessa. Later, There was considerable discussion on the cybercongregation about this event and about whether the BofM has much use in the "modern day" missionary efforts. I have a feeling the Waffle House test would fit this scenario in Odessa Ukraine.

    I too agree that your ministry in Community of Christ and as president was a blessing to many. Your personal ministry to me helped bring me into and kept me in the denomination through several years.

    God bless you in your health concerns.

    leon d berg
    Kansas City, MO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS.

    Once again prophet (not president) Grant's words ring true to me. I hope you don't mind if I use these questions (The Waffle House Test) tomorrow at Norton Heights congregational leadership meeting as we try to figure out further invitational and missional ministries.

    leon d berg
    Kansas City, MO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the various comments; they have stimulated my own thinking. Over on Facebook this link has been posted and I have asked people to suggest what could be added to or subtracted from the "Waffle House Test." Please add your thoughts to others over there on FB.

    Leon, feel free to use the "Test." You might look at the FB links. I posted a Twitter-friendly 140 character version.

    Again, thanks to all for your gracious comments.

    ReplyDelete