Thursday, October 04, 2012

Disappointment, History, and Popeye

Politics will infuse your dreams with hope and the next day smash them cruelly on the rocks. It's horrible, and then you suddenly realize, "My gosh, it's already the next day."

I was profoundly disappointed by the performance of President Obama in the first presidential debate for the 2012 election. I think I have made it very clear that I admire the president and support him in his efforts to build a nation that appeals to our highest values. That admiration has not moved one iota on this day after Mitt Romney trounced him in their first of three such encounters leading up to the election.

Let's be honest and realistic. The spin doctors waste their breath in trying to snatch victory from defeat. It may work with sports but not here. The majority of voters will not make their decision on some intricate mathematical formula that suddenly explains the deficit or keeps grandma's Medicaid coverage in place. It has to do with how we felt about what we saw. It has to do with likability and confidence and trust. You can't spin that.

Mitt Romney stumbled and bumbled his way to the nomination and has run what looks from the outside to be a futile campaign with a deeply flawed candidate. Then, inexplicably, he gulps down a can of spinach, pounds his fists on his chest, and knocks Bluto on his arse. And Olive Oyl swoons.

So, give the guy his due. He prepared, and to his credit he prepared content and not one-liners. You can make all the excuses you want for Obama--he has a day job called "being president," he underestimated Romney having seen his GOP debates, he was tired or had jet lag, or was not feeling well, he just had an off-day as we all do. Doesn't matter. Romney wins, Obama loses.

Richard M Nixon debates
John F Kennedy in 1960.
History is littered with failed debates and victorious candidates. The first televised presidential debate was Nixon vs Kennedy in 1960. Many thought Nixon lost because he had a five o'clock shadow and droplets of sweat on his upper lip. It took him a while but eight years later he was the president, winning a second term before being forced into resignation to avoid impeachment. It is a case study in winning and losing and we need to learn history's lessons.

Today all around the country there are pundits and campaign officials smarter than me criticizing, advising, retooling, and rethinking. It woud be self-indulgent to believe I have anything to add to that mix. My priority now is personal. I need to figure out what I am going to do about this disappointing day. A few preliminary ideas have already come to mind.

A few days ago I got an Obama-Biden bumper sticker through the mail. It's been laying on my desk. Today it goes on the car.

I will try to do my bit by passing out literature, making phone calls, putting up yard signs and all that stuff that works even thought we hate it. I will NOT participate in anything that smacks of robo-calls.

I've read enough to know that Romney's debate performance was built on an altar of half-truths and fuzzy math. I have given him a lot of credit in this piece, but that doesn't mean he gets a pass for his shameless game of cat and mouse with the truth. I will learn what I can and offer the unrequested service of correcting these mistaken notions when I hear them. I will be forthright but I'm no Popeye. I will be gentle.

I will expect the president to carry the water to the finish line. On this day, the day after, he has already begun. It's good to have him back. Mr President, a can of spinach at breakfast might be a good idea, just in case.

And most important, I will remind myself over and over that disappointment fades and today is a new day.


7 comments:

  1. Grant, I feel your pain!! Sue McL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting thing that no one seems to have mentioned is how frequently Romney blinked. That is often an autonomic physical response indicating that the person is not being truthful especially when it appears with other signals like hand shrugs or rise in voice. Governor Granholm spoke tonight about Romney's lies. Many. LarryT

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, do you know what a "blind guide" is? Perhaps you need to take another look at the debate with an objective view, if that's even possible.
    Let's take a look at what President Obama has done to help this nation. Cash for clunkers - a failed program

    The programs to help people stay in their homes-don't
    know what it's called, but my son's best friend lost his
    home because of it; they didn't act in a
    timely manor and the bank foreclosed.

    Solyndra=a half trillion dollar mistake. Oh, yes, let's
    not forget all the other green businesses that folded
    after getting financial aid from our tax dollars.

    Oh, yes, his efforts to close down cole companies has
    really helped this nation. I see it every time I get an
    electric bill. Wait a minute. That HURT the nation.

    Don't forget the millions of dollares of American money
    he gave to Brazil, Mexico, and other nations while he
    held a moritorium on our oil companies in the gulf. OUCH
    That one not only caused a withdrawl of personal income
    at the gas pump, but the grocery store, as well as every
    item we purchase because transportation costs have risen.

    Now, don't forget that he made a bargain with Mexico's
    president to allow Mexican drivers to enter America and
    deliver goods in this continent. Yeah, that was real
    good for American jobs. Wait a minute. It was good for
    MEXICAN jobs. Humh!

    The list goes on and on but I'm limited with this
    response. So, please, Grant, take another look. If you
    don't want this nation to prosper, perhaps you can begin
    by giving away all your savings. It's probably not worth
    much after QE1, QE2, and yes, QE3.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Grant, I heard on NPR this morning that although the pundits expected the president's numbers to go down after the debate, in fact, they continued to rise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a new spin on an old drinking game. Every time I hear a Mitt Romney lie in the media, I send Obama $5. It could get expensive, but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's talk about truth, Obama, and Libia. You complained about Romney's "half-truths and fuzzy math." I guess if you want to make an honest evaluation of this situation you could say President Obama out-and-out lied to the public in order to persuade the public to blindly follow his ideological persuasions no matter how inept they were/are. Emails released to the public in recent days verified this truth. Not only did he lie to the public, but he had access to watch the 6-7 hour firefight from a drone in near real time and did nothing to protect our ambassador or the other Americans even though the Pentagon placed soldiers, ships and planes nearby to assist as soon as the word to assist was given. However, no order to help came. Word has it that the ambassador was also raped as well.

    Taking all this into consideration, I hope with all my heart that the one you declare is inferior to President Obama becomes our new president. He surely cannot do worse than this current president is doing.

    ReplyDelete