Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Blogging and Birthing - A New Beginning

Over the past months I have been reminded, most vigorously by my sons but also by others, that my blog came to something of a cliffhanger ending a year ago.

Having announced that some traditions withstand all change I then had to confess I was wrong. Some traditions, no matter how virtuous or significant, must yield when life intervenes with demands of a higher order. I said such had happened to us on Christmas Day 2006, chose not to give specific details, but assured everyone that all was well.

I did not intend for a year to pass without further posts, nor can I explain why. My sons have goosed me about it a few times. They seem to think that declaring all is well and then dropping off the face of the blogging earth tends to send a mixed message. Some of you have gently inquired and expressed hope that we might begin again.

And so we shall.

The picture accompanying this post is of our son Brian, his wife Lyda, and our first granddaughter Ashley. (If you cannot wait to see more pictures you may find them in abundance here.) She arrived on December 18. 2007, a beautiful burst of new life, and a whole new reason to talk about those things for which I still care very deeply--the creation of community that embodies heritage, diversity, and peace.

I'm not sure where we'll go with the blog. I'm thinking a lot about faith and politics these days. I wonder why? I've got some rants in me and they're looking for an outlet.

The clinic lost my urine sample one day and I think that needs to be discussed. I'm troubled about the fact that restaurants rarely include spoons in their table service anymore. This needs to be exposed.

I'm upset about Darfur, worried about health care, angry with politicians, and optimistic about the Kansas City Royals. Again.

But I'm also feeling kind of soft and gentle these days. You see, I get to hold Ashley quite a bit. And therein is all the hope one needs.

And therein is a good reason to begin again--blogging and birthing.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I've missed your "musings", "rantings" and family news. Having just become a great grandparent I know something of the joy you are experiencing as a new grandparent.
    Jon Mendenhall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words, Jon. Feel free to weigh in on any of the things we talk about here.

    I'm just home from hugging that granddaughter. Can't imagine what being a great grandparent must be like, but this first level is pretty terrific.

    Grant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curious as to how it is you are feeling positive about the Royals. If grandaughtes can do this I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thrilled to see you posting again! Welcome back to the blogosphere. I have long respected you and look forward to future postings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on birth of your granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete