Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Coronation Postponed


2007.09_obama_clinton_window
Originally uploaded by cizauskas
A few days ago I posted my concerns about Iowa and New Hampshire having such an undue influence on the selection of the presidential candidates. I still believe what I wrote, but it must be said that these few days have delivered some unexpected lessons, and important ones at that.

I haven't decided who I will vote for in this election and I see no sign that the various candidates are restlessly awaiting my endorsement. It is an interesting race, however, especially because it is the first time in decades that there is no incumbent president or vice-president on the ballot. So it's fun for us political junkies to play with possibilities.

However, as events unfolded over these few days the media coverage of the Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primary took things to a whole new level. The online and television talking heads starting running out of hyperboles for Barack Obama and soon had him sweeping the country leading a massive transformation of American society, with the entire world soon to follow.

I like Obama very much. He is a tremendous orator and I believe he has the potential to be a change agent of the first order. For a while there I found myself readily embracing what was happening. But somehow it seemed a bit premature to let one night of caucuses in Iowa anoint a global leader of social change. And sure enough, New Hampshire voters trumped Iowa and postponed the coronation.

All of this is caused primarily by a yearning for fundamental change. The incumbent president has led the country into a tragic and unnecessary war that will have spiritual and economic consequences for many years to come. Debate over immigration policy is beginning to expose our underbelly of institutional racism, not unlike our government's response to Katrina. Health care is fast becoming a crisis that could bump the nation into class warfare.

The country needs a leader who can embody hope, articulate a vision, and bring about tangible results. We all have those yearnings and perhaps that makes us a bit too vulnerable. But we must be careful not to allow the media to prepackage the change process through polls and punditry.

There is a lot of wisdom in the common, everyday people of this nation and the world. We will let the media know when the time for transformation has come.

5 comments:

  1. Inspiring and powerfully articulated Grant. I really hope you keep the blog going. Means a great deal to me to learn what's on your mind regarding these critically important subjects. Thanks so much! - Brad Shumate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad. Great to hear from you. Thanks for your comment. Please feel free to weigh in some of these issues. You've got a unique perspective to share.

    Give my best to Jeri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post Grant! I am also one of those miserable creatures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so miserable that I watched four straight hours of Republican AND Democratic debates before Iowa on a SATURDAY NIGHT. Now that's miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol! not only did I watch all 4 hours of those debates but I also watched the Republican debate on Sunday night and will do so again tonight! Plus, my TV has been constantly turned onto MSNBC and Fox News for the latest commentaries/updates.

    ReplyDelete