Monday, March 31, 2008

Ashley Care and the Pursuit of Peace

A bit more than three months ago I became a grandfather for the first time. If you've experienced it yourself you know that it is a life-changing event, transforming your viewpoint and reordering your priorities.

Obiously, some of my impressions about such things have found their way here, even though this blog is not intended to be a family diary in perpetuity or a gallery of beautiful baby pictures. (I'm not saying that such things aren't highly desirable, so for cute kid pictures and new parent musings just skedaddle over to Brian and Lyda's blog.)

However, my purpose here is to try to weave life experiences and reflections into insights that connect to the values in my mission statement. In that spirit I want to tell you about something significant that begins today and promises to be a challenging but immensely satisfying slice of my life.

My daughter-in-law Lyda has finished her maternity leave and now returns to her classroom to fulfill her teaching contract. When the school year ends she plans to stay at home with Ashley full-time. However, between then and now there is a nine week bridge of time that needs to be covered. Brian and Lyda have asked if I would be willing to care for Ashley during that time.

I am sincere when I say that I was honored to be asked and know that it was a statement of ultimate trust. I did not take the request lightly. It is a major commitment to care for a three month old child all day long. That is especially true now that I've reached a time in life when my body is only rarely described in terms that compare favorably with the lithe frame of Greek mythology's Adonis.

Ashley, of course, was the deal clincher. The opportunity to spend long blocks of time with this child is irresistable.

Some of you are gracious enough to wander into this little corner of cyberspace and reflect with me on the smorgasbord of issues--some serious, some whimsical--that we engage in here. Because of that I thought you should know what I'll be doing over these next two months. Who knows what effect diapers, swaddling clothes, warm bottles, hissy fits, and "glad to see you, grandpa" smiles will have on my views about heritage, diversity, and peace.

I have a feeling Ashley is about to reframe them in deeply satisfying ways.


7 comments:

  1. You're right, grant! There's nothing like grandchildren to reorder your priorities. Ours are 29, 28, 25, 21, 22, and 17. I had Ashley, the 17 year old beauty all summer while I had her in summer school here with me. Bob was gone for FEMA.

    Now my daughter and son-in-law have her for her senior year and are having the time of their lives with her. Their only son is 29 day after tomorrow.

    Last Friday6 we had our third great grandchild. That makes three girl greats. Ah, the fun of getting old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh...yeah....have fun with that

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. She IS cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Four days ago our second great grandchild was born. The difference for us is that Isaac (and Angel, our first great) is in Alaska. You are fortunate to have Ashley close. I'm not sure I could handle that much baby sitting however. I think you will have a great time though - lucky dog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time spending the next couple of months with your grandchild! What a precious pic!

    I rode with a friend to a young adult retreat this past weekend and she mentioned you in a conversation and I told her about your blog. Apparently, she went to Graceland with Brian and even stayed overnight at your house once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your life is about to begin! You will change the way you see things, do things, think about things. Our 6 month old granddaughter and her mother live with us. Our daughter works evenings so that we can babysit and what a life-changing experience it has been for us! We adore her and the opportunity to become someone important in her life because she is so important in our lives. Treasure each minute you have with her, Grant, this is the opportunity of a lifetime for both you and Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have to say, Grant, that I admire you greatly for taking on the task. I don't know many men of my generation who would do it. This generation of men are extraordinary about childcare though. My generation wasn't as willing. I recall Bob always felt he was doing me a great favor if he agreed to babysit for a few hours. I guess that was a generation thing.

    Bob wouldn't change a diaper either for a long time. He considered that women's work. In fact, anything "around the house" was considered "women's work", especially before I went to work.

    He is so different these days. He even took up doing the vacuuming a few years ago. I was amazed when he offered to help me with the housework in that way.

    But even today he doesn't hold or play with the great grandchildren. I guess we're all different in some way.

    But I consider you extraordinary for taking on that task.

    ReplyDelete