Monday, April 10, 2006

On Teaching and Learning

On Friday I flew to Salt Lake City in response to an invitation from a University of Utah student group. They wanted me to come and sit with them for a few hours and engage in open-ended dialogue. I was intrigued by the chance to talk with a diverse group of students with intellectual curiosity about a wide range of matters--history, theology, politics, culture, faith.


As is usually the case when I have encounters like this, I find that the line between teaching and learning is pretty faint. An image like this ambigram by Scott Kim captures the relationship perfectly. Learning and teaching are reflections of each other. All good teachers are lifelong learners; all good students teach their instructors by way of their questioning and their searching. Socrates and Plato and Aristotle had it right, eh? Even 12-year-old Jesus and the rabbis in the temple had it right.


On Friday I found myself with students who I know think differently than me about many things. I think we all relished the opportunity to engage in a conversation that wasn't a debate but a search for shared understanding. There were a few times when the look on a student's face said to me that he was in disbelief I could think such a thing. I occasionally wondered the same about them. But the dialogue was nothing if not civil, the questions thoughtful and to the point, and my responses as candid and honest as I could make them. At the end of the day we were friends.


An ambigram is defined as "a graphical figure that spells out a word not only in its form as presented, but also in another direction or orientation." These days we often forget that there is a web of complexity to knowledge. We oversimplify for effect. The truth of things is not in its declaration, but rather from the questioning and exploration it compels.



We are all teachers. We are all learners. We are never one without being the other.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if it isn't just that there is "not nearly enough" discussions, but there are not nearly enough *places* where such discussions happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true that image is. I believe that I never learn more than when I think I have the best lesson possible to teach my students.

    I can spend day and night working on an incredible "teaching moment". I will sit down, slowly release the knowledge into my students hands, and sit back to await their predictable replies. Of course, that never happens. The replies are often unexpected, insightful and complex. I am constantly amazed by an 8 year olds understanding and philosophical ideas about the world around us. This spiraling pattern causes me to want to learn more so that we may take the lesson further, thus we both learn more, and we continue to teach each other and grow together. Being an educator allows me to also be educated on a daily basis.

    There is nothing more humbling than to be quite obviously corrected by an innocent 8 year old.

    -Lyda

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world can use a lot more of that "sitting around a table discussing things". Perhaps it would not be in such a mess as it is right now if more of that were done instead of firing guns and killing people.

    ReplyDelete