Sunday, April 02, 2006

Religious Euphemisms


It is common these days to see new phrases used for religious terms that are deeply rooted in American culture. The tendency is to move away from specificity and to use generic references, often turning on the word "faith." This is a word with many meanings, some of them not religious at all, yet it abounds in the media when references are made to religious concepts. I wonder sometimes what this may portend.




Churches are now "faith groups." The government is trying to engage "faith-based organizations" (FBO's) in administering federal funds for social programs. Christians, Jews, Muslims, and others are instead referred to as "people of faith." Alliances of churches are now "interfaith" councils.




I don't particularly object to this trend and use some of those terms myself. But I think there may be some serious issues underlying the practice.




Obviously, one of the reasons is the need for more inclusive terms that reflect the religious diversity of our culture. Christians particularly, having long focused on their own denominationalism, have finally awakened to the importance of other religious movements. New language is needed.




But for Christians I think there is a more troubling implication here as well. The disgraceful divisiveness within Christendom has caused more and more people to distance themselves from being referred to as Christians, even though they theologically qualify. The Religious Right, more often wrong than right, has tried to lay claim to the "Christian position" on various issues. Whenever I hear Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson talk about the "Christian" perspective I personally take a euphemism pill that transforms me from being a Christian to being a "person of faith." I hate to cede that ground to such forces, but it is too distasteful to be linked to their intolerance and bigotry. I don't think I'm alone.




The question is not whether one has faith. I have faith in many things--that the KC Royals will win the pennant, that the nachos supreme won't upset my stomach, and that when I turn on my shower warm water will cascade over me. Faith does not necessarily require religious content.




The real issue from a religious perspective has to do with where one's "faith" is centered. The risk to "people of faith" these days is that the cultural euphemisms will drain the soul of its very life and vitality.




We bloggers of faith must be wary of that euphemism demon.

1 comment:

  1. Are you looking for God? I seem to vacillate on this subject myself.

    Two people will have spiritual experiences regarding a problem and they get opposite answers. How then can we trust those experiences?

    So I ask is there a God? I want to have faith that a God exists , if not---then I'm alone.

    ReplyDelete